Break Section within a rectangle

Author
c
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I often have occasion to draw bounding box rectangles around groups of connectors on panels. It is standard that people want a header of text at the top of that group. The text typically intersects the top line of the rectangle breaking the line of the rectangle for the entire area of the text takes up. I am not seeing any way within the software to edit a rectangle so that I can remove a part of one side of the rectangle to allow the text to sit there and not be intersected by the rectangle itself. Is there some way to break a rectangle into sections so that I can edit parts sort of like editing nodes on a line and create a break in the rectangle to allow this?
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson
Forum Administrator (371K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hi Chris,

Although there isn't a way to break a rectangle per se, there are a couple of ways you an achieve what you want.
  1. Instead of using a rectangle use the Polygon tool to create what looks like a rectangle with a break in it, or
  2. Overlay an object, e.g. another rectangle, with line and fill colors set to White to make the rectangle look like it's broken, then overlay text onto that object
I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Rob Robinson
Stardraw.com
chrisstubbs
c
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Rob Robinson - 12/20/2023 4:44:54 PM

Hi Chris,

Although there isn't a way to break a rectangle per se, there are a couple of ways you an achieve what you want.
  1. Instead of using a rectangle use the Polygon tool to create what looks like a rectangle with a break in it, or
  2. Overlay an object, e.g. another rectangle, with line and fill colors set to White to make the rectangle look like it's broken, then overlay text onto that object
I hope this is helpful.

Thank you, I'll give this a try.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...